Creamy Orzo Risotto with Butternut Squash




I got this recipe from WeightWatchers...it was pretty good, all in all, but I kind of felt like it was missing something. Also, I think it calls for a bit more liquid - I'd reduce it by 1/2 cup next time. It should come out to 5 points for 3/4 of a cup.

Ingredients
Cooking spray
2 cups butternut squash, cut into small cubes
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/8 tsp table salt
1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup uncooked orzo
1.5 cups water (I'd use just one cup next time, I feel like by the time the liquid absorbed the orzo was overcooked)
1 cup fat free chicken broth
1 tsp thyme , fresh or 8 whole sprigs (sprigs preferred, OR, you can use sage, which I did - fresh leaves)
2 Tbsp fat-free half-and-half (I used heavy cream, because I had it, and could not see buying a whole container of FF h-and-h for 3 Tbsps)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp table salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 425. Coat a small rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
Toss squash with oil and salt in a bowl, then spread in a single layer on the baking sheet, leaving space between cubes.
Roast, stirring halfway through, until squash is tender and lightly browned, about 20-25 min.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a med saucepan over medium heat; add orzo. Stir constantly until orzo begins to smell "toasty", about five minutes.
Add water, broth, and thyme sprigs (or sage leaves). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid is nearly absorbed, about 15 minutes.

Remove thyme/sage, stir in half-and-half, cheese and squash.

Season well with salt and pepper, serve.

I served this with some chicken that I dredged in a mixture of seasoned bread crumbs and parmesan cheese then baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment