Beef Stew with Beer


This is a really super-easy recipe that I made in the slow-cooker. I got the recipe from myrecipes.com, but adapted a bit.

Ingredients:
1 large chopped white or spanish onion
cooking spray
2lbs boneless top-round steak, visible fat removed
2 (14.5 oz) cans of diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
1 (12 oz) can of light beer
4 Tbsp molasses
1/2 tsp salt

1. coat the slow-cooker with cooking spray
2. place onion in bottom of slow-cooker (I chop it the night before)
3. heat a large non-stick pan over med-high heat, coat with cooking spray, add steak, and cook 3-5 min on each side, until nicely browned
4. add steak to slow cooker
5. pour tomatoes and beer over steak
6. cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, or until steak is very tender
7. shred steak with two forks in the slow-cooker
8. add molasses and salt, let stand 10 min before serving.

I like to serve this over cous cous, although the first time I made it, I made mashed potatoes - that was almost too heavy. It might be good to add some chopped potatoes to the stew too. It's really good, and sweet!

Makes about 6 cups of stew
Approximate nutrition per serving: 280 calories, 8g fat, 1g fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment