So, I realize it might seem I'm obsessed with the slow-cooker...it's probably true. It is just so easy and makes enough for a few meals so I'm not cooking every night. This recipe comes from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine, a new favorite of mine.
Ingredients
1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed
1 11oz jar salsa (I used more like 15oz)
2 TBSP chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (believe it or not, I had some trouble finding these - finally found them in the Goya section of the supermarket)
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I don't like dark meat, so I just used the same amount of skinless, boneless chicken breasts - that is why I increased the salsa, to be sure the chicken wouldn't dry out)
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, chopped
sour cream
fresh cilantro
1. In a 5-6 quart slow-cooker, stir together beans, salsa, chiles, flour, and 1 cup of water (I used fat free chicken broth to add more flavor).
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place on top of bean mixture.
3. Scatter chopped onion and pepper on top of chicken
4. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours (no peeking)
5. Remove chicken from stew, shred into large pieces and return to stew (I was actually able to just do this with a wooden spoon and a fork in the slow cooker)
6. Serve topped with sour cream and cilantro (I added a bit of shredded cheese since I had it in the house)
This is really good, and was so easy. If I was doing it again, I'd spray the crockpot with cooking spray first, to maybe help keep the stuff from sticking...I'm soaking as we speak.
Oh, and it says serves four - I think that it could easily serve more like 5, or even six if you served it over some brown rice.
No comments:
Post a Comment